18 Aug 2020

SLIMLINE EASEL

 


I was invited to join the "Slimline Cards" making group on the CraftWorld website, where I am a member. 

So, I wanted to submit something to the group but not make it an ordinary flat card.

After mulling on the issue for a short while I came up with the thought of using an easel card fold. 

To make the base card:

 I cut 3.5 inch down the long edge of a piece of A4 white card. 
Then I folded it in half. 
The top half was folded in half once more toward the first fold - to make the hinge.

Using papers from the First Edition Sweet Nothings paper pad I matted and layered the base card. 

Because the card is quite narrow it seemed a great idea to use a feather embellishment.

Of course, an ink well was the obvious choice to fit with the feather!

I created the feather by dabbing Opal Blaze polish through a feather template and fussy cutting it out. 

The inkwell was hand cut with a craft knife and topped with the word "ink", which was die cut using X-Cut alphabet dies. 

After adhering the feather and ink well to the front of the card with dimensional foam, it then needed something to help prop the hinge open. 

So, I loosely rolled a piece of cream card to make it look like a scroll. Making some small tears and rips and brushing on some Distress Oxide ink, I was able to "age" the scroll quite effectively. 

When the scroll was glued into position it formed the ideal stopper for the easel hinge and made a great place to be able to write a little note before mailing the card. 

Finally, I glued a small die cut shape to the front of the card, on which I had written "Just a Note". 

I am really pleased with how it looks. 

The photos below show the card folded flat to put in an envelope and also when it is propped open. 










3 comments:

  1. Hmmn now you've been using the opal blaze polishes on black on projects I can see how lovely they are. Really love the feather and whole easel design ... Steph x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reply is below Steph. I still haven't entirely got to grips with the blog!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Steph. That Opal Blaze Polish works like magic on black card. Seems to work really well through a stencil... such as the feather on this project.

    ReplyDelete