10 Aug 2020

WHITE ON WHITE - TUTORIAL

 



This card is made for the 'just for fun' challenge on the CraftWorld site. The challenge is to make a one colour card and I decided to go for an all white card, to fit into a DL (4.33 inch x 8.67 inch, 110mm x 220mm) envelope.

I really didn't have a specific occasion in mind for the card, so I decided not to include a sentiment on the front. Having said that, I rather like it 'as is' anyway. 

When I do come to use it I will just write a message inside, or I could put something very very simple on the front for a special occasion - a couple of faux gold or silver rings onto the ribbon for a wedding card, for instance.


So this is what I used:


  • White Card 160gms
  • Sizzix Embossing Folder
  • Piece of White Satin Ribbon
  • Creative Expression - Star Flower Set - Craft Dies by Lisa Horton
  • Stick-On Flat Back Pearls
  • Double Sided Tape
  • Dimensional Foam Tape 


And, this is how I made it:



Follow the cutting and scoring lines, as shown in the template above. 

(That is: cut 8 inches across the long side and score this piece at 4 inches. 

With the left over piece, cut 0.25 inches off the length. This will make a single layer for the card base). 


Fold and burnish the score line to make the card and put it aside while you work on the layer.




Cut 3 strips of card 7/8" by 7 7/8" (as photo above) and run them through an embossing folder.  Note that with most embossing folders you will need to turn these longer strips to emboss the bottom edges as well.



Using double sided tape adhere the embossed strips to the front of the card as shown in the photograph above. I placed the strips so that there was room to score a straight line down at the extreme left and right, just to frame the strips. (Refer to photo above, they are faint but you can just see them).



Cut a piece of white ribbon to wrap around the place where the embossing folder may have created a flat area (where the strips were turned to emboss the bottom of them). The white satin ribbon also creates a nice area of contrast against the white card. 



Cut a piece of white card using the long straight die of the three flowers from the  Creative Expression - Star Flower Set - Lisa Horton Craft Dies.

Using a thin strip of double sided tape attach the die cut flower strip to the front of the card lengthwise, overlapping the ribbon, as seen in the photograph. 

Lift the petals to achieve a nice 3D effect to the flowers.



Finally, attach the layer to the front of the card with dimensional foam tape and place stick-on pearls into the centre of each of the flowers.



This card was very quick and easy to make. I think that single colour cards work really well if you include embossed details, some dimension and other mediums of the same colour - such as the ribbon and pearls.




3 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to make a white on white card ... love all your different textures & layers ... gorgeous all occasion card in fact I could see this as a festive one too with the right sentiment! Steph x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied below Steph. I really must try to reply in the correct box! 😜

      Delete
  2. Hi Steph.....oooh, I am looking forward to seeing your white on white. I might make another one or two as specific christmas cards..maybe with embossed holly. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete